“This is a family favorite that is put into every cookbook for my kids when they move out and get married. It is a beautiful dish with many colors and full of flavor. Warning, it is addictive.” If you are on a diet or just looking for a vegetable in your recipe then Bacon Fried Cabbage recipe will fill you up. This is the healthiest and simplest recipe can be prepared by using simple ingredients could result in such a flavorful and delicious dish.
As cabbage is the main ingredient of this recipe has very low calories index beside this it has an impressive nutrient profile. Well known for its high content of vitamin C and it is also a potent antioxidant that helps to protect against heart disease, certain cancers and vision loss
I don’t know what it is about Southern Bacon-Fried Cabbage, but like I said, I cannot stop eating it when it’s made! I find myself grabbing a spoon from the drawer to get a taste …. you know, you have to taste test when you’re cooking! Five minutes later, the same thing! The great thing is my family digs this side dish just as much as I do, so there are never any leftovers! Which, I guess depending on how you look at it, that’s a good thing! The only problem is that it means there is less for me … which maybe that’s why I have to “taste-test” it so much?! I have to make sure I get my fair portion!!
QuickTip: Some added butter….it makes a fabulous difference!
- 1 lb bacon ( finely chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 lbs cabbage (finely diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fry bacon with occasionally stirring until the fat renders and will take crispy brown appearance.
- Remove the bacon on paper towels to drain and set aside.
- Take oil in a pan, heat it now add chopped onion and minced garlic in to pan and stir until onion and garlic become translucent.
- Now add cabbage and pepper flakes, salt into pan and stir until the cabbage is tender, if you prefer it softer put a lid on the frying pan that will give it some steam.
- Crumble the fried bacon into the pan and mix well.
- You can keep in the fridge for a day or two and can be reheated in a hot frying pan, but its best freshly made.
12.5 g fat
15.5 g carbohydrates
5.4 g protein
19 mg cholesterol
1435 mg sodium
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!
Yummy, Please make sure to Like and share this Recipe with your friends on Facebook!